EQ guidelines [RE-wrenches]

jay peltz jay at asis.com
Sun Mar 3 07:39:28 PST 2002

Hi Hugh,

As to the question of why use Controllers at all, we ask it often.  However where
we live, we have sun all summer, and with the lowest loads, the batteries are
often full at 10am.  Some folks have pretty big arrays and it will push the
voltage to 16+V on 12v nominal at that does play havic with DC lights, inverters
etc.

But in the winter, again around here, controllers are pretty much a waste.  True
the new MPPT ones can help, but lots of overcast which cuts down on the
advantage.

AS to why they come so low from the factory?  Its because they could be used for
sealed, so they are set for what will not kill sealed if they are not adjusted.
As to why there seems to be the misconception about low charge voltages?  I'm not
too sure, I do know that Sandia has come out with many studies that say that the
lower voltages work just fine etc.. I know from personal experience and real
world usage that the lower voltages just don't work.

If you can't check your batteries 1 x 2 months, then live on grid!

later,

jay

peltz power

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com