Anemometer Options [RE-wrenches]

John Raynes john at raynes.com
Mon Feb 18 08:56:06 PST 2002

<x-flowed>

 >A slighty lower cost opotion for data logging is a sensor and logger from
http://www.onsetcomputer.com/.
 >We have used Onset's Hobo loggers to troubleshoot Trace Gridtek-10
inverters with great results.
 >But we have not used the weather / wind sensors.
 >Logan
 >Pine Ridge Products

The Hobo loggers are quite popular and very low cost, although you'll pay
more to get a Hobo rated for outdoor temps (they do make them).

Also, be aware that NRG#40 or similar sensors with frequency outputs won't
interface directly to a Hobo.  You'll need to first convert the anemometer
frequency output to a continuous voltage level output.  NRG makes a little
device for that purpose called a wind speed interface, but it requires its
own 12 volt power (a very small amount), and you'll have to get well into
the details of its output signal levels to make everything work OK.  IMO,
probably more trouble than it's worth, 'cause the resolution and data
storage capabilities of the Hobo aren't that great to begin with (i.e., you
get what you pay for).   You're probably better off using an NRG#40 sensor
with either a weather station or NRG instrument that has inputs
specifically designed to deal with this type of signal.

If you're looking for a more generic type of logger that does deal well
with frequency/contact closure inputs, you're probably looking at something
like a Campbell CR510.  But at that point you've stepped up a couple levels
in price and performance.

I stand corrected by David Blittersdorf on my speculations about the
Maximum #400 Maestro sensor.  Sounds as if it wasn't a #40 to begin with,
after all!

Hey Logan,  What types of sensors or inputs were you monitoring with the
Hobo when you were troubleshooting the Gridtek units?  I'm curious.

Regards,
John Raynes
RE Solar

- - - -