Anemometer Options [RE-wrenches]

Todd Cory, Bald Mtn. Solar toddcory at jps.net
Sat Feb 16 00:43:00 PST 2002

Do NOT get the Davis Instruments unit. It is junk. To detect wind speed they
use the traditional cups connected to a rotating magnet next to a reed switch.
Every rotation the reed switch opens and closes... as you can imagine it
doesn't take long (months, to as much as 2 years if you have low winds) for the
reed switch to fatigue and break, necessitating removal and replacement. I
finally got one of their techs to admit it is a major problem... "that we are
working on". As of this date I am on my 5th unit in as many years and they
still have no alternative, non mechanical switch technology to replace this
very poor design.

To top it off they seem totally resistant to admitting it is a poor design and
waving the replacement fee if it is out of their (3 month?) warranty period.
Not a very good way to get product endorsements. It was pulling teeth to even
finally get a tech to admit they are very problematic.

Todd Cory

"Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar" wrote:

> Did I even spell that right?
>
> We are getting to ready to install a 10 kW Bergey Excel-S.  The machine is
> going to be on a 100' guyed tower approximately 300' from the house.  I
> would like to be able to monitor wind speed in the house.  I'm looking
> around for a solar powered weather stations with wireless sensors.  I might
> need to rethink that as I don't want a meteor slamming into this wind
> turbine.  Also, I think they have no more than a 100' transmitting ability.
>
> Any other experience, thoughts?
>
> Thanks
> Travis Creswell

- - - -