Repair of broken PV modules [RE-wrenches]

Brad Bassett bsbassett at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 4 20:54:36 PST 2002

Hi, I've recently started reading this list and find it interesting so
far.

My little bit to add is a summary of broken module coverings that I've a
little info on.

Tefzel I believe is supposed to have a 10+ year life time in the sun.

Acrilic sheet (aka: plexiglas) is very long lived in the sun but has low
temperature resistance, though I think it would be OK as a module cover
since sagging should not be a problem, it's also very clear.

Polycarbonate sheet (aka: Lexan) is very tough, temperature resistant,
and is now available with a UV inhibitor so it may have a longer
lifetime than the original few years. I don't know if it still turns
yellow though, and even when new lets less light through than glass or
plexiglas.

I would guess that glass would be fine, it has all those properties that
make it ideal in the first place, and the same drawback, or we wouldn't
be writing about this topic.

I don't know much about recent urethane varnishes, but my previous
experiences with urethanes in other uses are that they don't hold up
very well to sunlight.

I tried various silicone rubber formulations in the past but they all
gathered a huge layer of dirt on the surface that was virtually
impossible to remove.

Materials to avoid are polyethylene, vinyl and styrene sheet, none will
last more than a year or two, but they're cheap.

Thanks

Brad Bassett
Schott Applied Power
Tumwater, WA office