Roof mounting [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 16 07:18:26 PST 2002

Several years ago we were asked by a University to design a 50 kw pv system
for one of their educational buildings.  It had an older metal roof and way
late in the design process the maintenance department stated they would not
allow any roof penetrations.

After many time consuming meetings with all involved, the only solution
agreed to by everyone (but me!) was to have a structural engineer design
mounting beams that lay against the roof surface, but are "strapped" to and
supported by the side walls.

Obviously, when we got a quote for this beautiful piece of structure that
would be "strapped" to the top of the building using bungee cords!!!, it
cost almost more than the pv array.  The high total cost finally produced a
quiet death for this project, which may have been the intent.

Moral - if you are involved with large projects, be aware that these will
usually need the approval of many different departments, not just the few
people you are dealing with.  You better ask and you better get all of them
on board from the start.  Not everyone in this world thinks solar arrays are
great or look beautiful!

Jeff Yago

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com