DC GFCI [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar ozsolar at ipa.net
Fri Jan 11 12:33:15 PST 2002

I never did understand what it's protecting.  I don't remember anything
about a Canadian lab questioning them.  That does sound an awful lot like
what I posted, though.

The main problem I saw, and still do see with them was as such;

A fault happens somewhere in between the inverter and the roof mounted
panels.  The GFP detects this fault and opens the circuit.   Since the
panels are still producing power the fault is still merrily smoldering away
on the roof or in the attic until sunset.  Hopefully the customer notices
the breaker is tripped before the house catches fire.

Wow, now that's helpful a device.

Travis Creswell
Ozark Energy Services, Inc.
----------
>From: Drake Chamberlin - Electrical Energy <solar at eagle-access.net>
>To: RE-wrenches at topica.com
>Subject: DC GFCI [RE-wrenches]
>Date: Fri, Jan 11, 2002, 1:08 PM
>

>Long ago, someone on the list mentioned that personnel in a Canadian Lab
>felt that the DC GFCI, mounted near the batteries, for roof mounted systems
>wasn't an effective safety device.
>
>Does anyone remember the reference on that?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Drake

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com