Permits[RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Thu Dec 26 12:23:30 PST 2002

Joel and Matt,

You are forgetting about a large loophole that many "owner-installers" are
using.  There are a significant percentage of "owner installers" installing
systems in California. However, only a small percentage of those are truly
installing the systems themselves. Most are either hiring a licensed
contract (fine), or equally likely hiring an unlicensed contractor or
contractor with an inappropriate license.

This situation happens because the homeowner pulls the permit for the
"contractor" and therefore there is no accountability as with a licensed
contractor. This is one of the reasons for the spread in the rebate amounts
for "owner installers" and I think is an excellent step in the right
direction. It's taken the CEC a few years to wake up to the fact that the
more than 30% of the rebates that are "owner installs" have a large number
of illegal contractors.

How do you stop that problem. Just like you can't stop all bad installs, it
is very difficult to stop illegal contractors. Supplying less rebate money
is an excellent way to provide the right incentive.

Eventually, I think it is completely appropriate for the CEC or NYSERDA or
whoever has the gold to provide a higher buydown amount for companies that
have taken the time, effort, and money to show that they have a high level
of competency installing PV system. Is this mandatory--absolutely not.
Anyone can elect to receive the lower buydown if they do not see the value
in becoming certified. Is it cruel? Not if you're the one having to dispense
the limited funds and want to get money in the hands of the most qualified
people.

We have to remind ourselves that rebate funds do not belong to the PV
industry. They belong to the ratepayers of California--in California's case.
We treat these funds like we deserve them because we are so good looking and
on the side of good and that is only partially true.

A lot of good folks were involved in getting rebate money to flow, but many
of those folks are the same folks that are pushing for more certifications
and controls to keep the money well spent.

Bill