NABCEP riding the bus [RE-wrenches]

blair Tump may tump at midcoast.com
Thu Dec 19 21:28:04 PST 2002

<x-flowed>

  Thanks Bob O,  If I didn't know better this NABCEP thin sounds EXACTLY
like the  auto mechanic ASC certification of the late 70s early 80s.  Now
its the norm..... and its VOLUNTARY too! Sorry to keep referencing ASC but
I do remember all the hub bub  about that program years ago.I almost was
fired for coming in late after I took the ASC certification test in 1980.

"Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection" wrote,

"NABCEP DOES NOT lobby, persuade, or cajole state governments IN ANY WAY.
Nor do we have any control over what they decide to do. That being said,
there seems to be a trend by the state to encourage certified installers
through extra incentive bucks. What that tells me is that the states are
waking up to the fact that their own licensing programs ain't up to speed
for RE and they are looking for a way (which is FAR cheaper, BTW, than
initiating their own programs) to get well installed systems. Frankly, for
state agencies to come up with this kind of clear, focused thinking is
well...Milagro! "

       I have been working with the state of Maine re their PV
certification program for the past few years and we have just finished a
draft  to the state that recommends   Maine opts for a VOLUNTARY PV  NABCEP
certification. (Maine does have Solar Thermal certified installers which is
a hold over from the 80s)
     We also recommended that PV installers  certified or otherwise do NOT
need to be a licensed electrician because, as you pointed out,  PV is not
most of their expertize nor do most want to learn.
  Will send along the draft  to all the NABCEP members, ( after the
holidays) if there is any else who might be interested contact me of list.
Maine THANKS you folks for  the hard work and the time all of you poor
folks who have contributed  to NABCEP !!!!!
  We continue to offer training seminars to electricians, code enforcement
persons as well as the GP, who want  more information and have found that
this work allows us to keep the wolfs at bay during the slow months.
Perhaps some of you folks that are so fearful of the NABCEP program might
find a way to profit by it. We all spend 90% of the sale educating our
clients anyway.
     I'm on the bus, hoping to help with  the direction NABCEP goes here in
Maine.
Happy holidays to all

             Blair "TUMP" May
     blair at solarwindsnorthernlights.com
     www.solarwindsnorthernlights.com
Serving Mid Coast Maine & Northern California
     Me.# 207-832-7574  Cl.#  610-517-8401
Trace Xantrax "Certified" Dealer / Installer

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com