PV and Fuel cells [RE-wrenches]

Eric Smiley Eric_Smiley at bcit.ca
Wed Dec 4 15:14:39 PST 2002

>Ballard as well as others would have been
>smart to have initiated a PEM electrolyzer industry along with the fuel
>cells

So true. I am involved with a couple of projects where PV is to be used
with a fuel cell. It makes a lot of sense to produce hydrogen with
excess PV or wind energy, but the existing electrolyzers are not very
compatible. They tend to be large and relatively inefficient. H2 purity
is also a problem.

An even better solution would be a reversible PEM fuel
cell/electrolyzer.

Eric Smiley
Project Leader
Photovoltaic Energy Applied Research, Technology Centre
British Columbia Institute of Technology
Burnaby Campus

NE25 - 3700 Willingdon Avenue
Burnaby, British Columbia
Canada V5G 3H2

phone: 604.432.8657    fax: 604.436.0286
esmiley at bcit.ca             www.tc.bcit.ca

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm