PS2512 woes [RE-wrenches]

Kirk Herander kirk at vtsolar.com
Wed Nov 20 15:05:26 PST 2002

Group,
I have a PS2512 that kicks in and out of bulk charge when charging at 20 max
AC amps. The Fluke-measured generator voltage and frequency are well within
acceptable range. When generator AC is applied, after a few minutes the
inverter fans will ramp up to highest speed, then the inverter kicks out of
bulk charge. After a short delay the fans ramp down in speed, the inverter
goes back into bulk, and the process repeats itself. The inverter is not
terribly warm and the vents have free access to air. These symptoms are akin
to a transformer or heat sink overtemp condition in the SW series, but that
silly error idiot light does not illuminate when the kick-out occurs. And
you can't tell anything else about these inverters without investing in the
remote display. And without the remote display, I can't change the factory
default charge rate of 20 amps AC, to see if it stays in bulk at a less than
max, or if a overtemp condition is actually occurring. I've actually had two
of these inverters perform in this manner fresh out of the box. Any ideas? I
hate the PS series......bring back the SW2512!!!!!!
thanks, Kirk

Vermont Solar Engineering
a Xantrex / Trace Certified Dealer Charter Member
Kirk Herander
PO Box 697
Burlington, VT. 05402
www.vermontsolar.com