Power System Mounting Plates [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas - OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Fri Nov 15 17:28:08 PST 2002

> I like the idea of using plywood with a nonconductive, fireproof
> material over the top like 5/8 drywall for mounting. I would bet
> that would provide adequate fire rating to the plywood plus be much >
> easier to work with and IMO safer than a sheet metal conductor. >

Not sure of why people are concerned about mounting system electrical
components to a metal mounting plate - I always want to ensure that all
of the component's metal enclosures are bonded together - in fact it is
a NEC requirement to ground all of the enclosures together.  Using a
metal back plate makes this easier to achieve and is more robust than a
bunch jumper wires and terminals IMHO.  When it includes prepuched holes
for the components being used in the right places - the saved time can
easily "pay" for the cost of the mounting plate.

As far as making your own metal/plywood plate or buying a premade
product - it depends on how much you value your time and the quality you
want the final installation to present.  Plywood isn't free and neither
is your time ...  and having a system look good can make the critical
difference when a picky electrical inspector arrives.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas at outbackpower.com  www.outbackpower.com
Tel 360 435 6030  Arlington WA USA