Ground fault protection [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas - OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Thu Nov 14 12:13:48 PST 2002

Allan Sindelar wrote:
> As the PV- and B- are isolated from each other at the SB50, a
> ground fault could indeed send full array current from PV- through
> the controller to the grounded B-, and overcurrent protection
> wouldn't catch the fault.

The PV- and B- terminals are not really isolated - just connected
through a low impedance current measurement shunt.  Much more than full
array current can flow through this connection when a ground fault
occurs - such as lots of current from a battery for instance (and a
reverse current circuit in the controller will not stop flow in the
negative circuit).

Breakers will not always trip - the PV is current limited inherently
below the rating of the breaker.  I can start a fire easily with 3 amps
at 24 vdc under the right conditions...

I think that a properly installed ground fault protection system would
have substantially reduced the damage which occurred.  Its really cheap
protection - or even "insurance" if you think that way... The cost for
our OutBack OBDC-GFP/2 is $129 and it can protect two 60 amp PV array
controllers. It also gives you something to point at when the fire
marshall / insurance company arrives (...We even installed ground fault
protection even though the NEC said we didn't have too on a
non-dwelling/ground mounted installation...).

The ground fault would have most likely tripped BEFORE the damage to the
system occurred - most likely during the installation.  This is why I
have started referring to them as "bad install detectors"...

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas at outbackpower.com  www.outbackpower.com
Tel 360 435 6030  Arlington WA USA