Sunny Boy Max input Voltage [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar ozsolar at ipa.net
Wed Oct 9 16:24:57 PDT 2002

Hello All,

I am looking at putting 12 Sharp 175's modules in series for a Sunny Boy
installation I am preparing to do.  12 is the magic number as that is the
most you can put on a AZ300 tracker.  6 modules in series is under the
minimum input voltage so I can't break the array up into two strings.   So
if I want to use Sharp 175's and max out the capacity of the AZ300 and I am
stuck with 12 modules.  Before I do any temp correction that comes up to 533
volts OCV (12x44.4).

It rarely gets under 0 degrees F here in the Ozarks but we have had some
days where we woke up to -10F.  Maybe once every 5 years. That puts me at
over 600 V open circuit (Sharp supplies a .144v/C correction factor for
these modules).  Actually, any time the module temp gets under 8F the OCV is
over 600V.   Sharp's voltage correction factor seem very high to me.

So what happens if a Sunny Boy sees just a little over 600 OCV?  Does the
magic, German made, smoke come out?

Thanks
Travis Creswell
Ozark Energy Services