Its payback time again. [RE-wrenches]

Tom Lane, Energy Conservation Services tom at ecs-solar.com
Wed Oct 2 05:35:23 PDT 2002

The argument is really over how long single crystal modules and copper wiring (UV and sunlight protected will last.)
*Solar electric modules technically should be able to last 100 years plus if  *6063- TS aluminum alloys are used in the frame wall and tempered glass 5/32" to 1/8" are used with single crystal cells such as Shell, AstroPower, and BP use.
The only quandry is how long the laminate will last.  It's exposure to direct sunlight  (frontal) and indirect sunlight and polluted air in San Francisco will be a factor.  Most manufacturers who intend to back their warranty will at least warrant their products for twice their given warranty.  Richard Perez should set up a test for his grandchildren to follow up in the year 3002 to report in Homepower how modules he's tested are still holding up.  Joel Davidson probably knows where some 25 plus panels are still operating in California.  I know of a lot of 10 and 20 watt modules over 20 years old that show almost on loss of power.  The 33 watt Arco modules dismantled by Zomeworks from California Utility in 1980's I've sold are still working.  I expect the copper wiring to last over 100 years if it is well shielded from the elements.

Tom Lane
Energy Conservation Services
6120 SW 13 Street
Gainesville FL 32608