Bring sanity to grounding [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 26 09:21:35 PDT 2002

For what it's worth, I ground the DC negative, use ground fault
protection on roof-mounted PV arrays and obey the Code. I also obey Stop
signs at empty crossroads in the middle of the open desert when I see no
traffic for miles and no billboards hiding cops. I sense the irony, but
I still stop. I am sure some of you will agree with me that there are
too many rules and that some new rules are as inane as some old rules.

At least 6 tasks being discussed here. Each task requires different
thinking and techniques. Please start your email or note in the subject
what you are writing about. If we unravel these strings, some general
guidelines will reveal themselves.
1. DC grounding.
2. AC grounding.
3. Ground fault protection.