LADWP Solar [RE-wrenches]

Graham Owen graham at solarexpert.com
Wed Jul 24 20:52:02 PDT 2002

Wrenches:

For anyone interested the following is the latest information about the
LADWP solar program.  The lockout is expected to end on or about August
15th 2002.   Out of the approximately 300 systems installed City wide 32
have been locked out.  LADWP management decided that no more than 35
systems should be locked out so recently there have been no more LADWP
inspections, resulting in no rebates being paid and no more lockouts.

When the solar program resumes there are new rules which specifically
address the “lockable disconnect”.  Contractors will have to make an
appointment with a Department Electric Service Representative (ESR) to
meet at the site to determine an appropriate location for the switch.
Next, the system is installed and inspected by L.A. department of
Building and Safety.  Paperwork is sent to LADWP.  Next, LADWP send out
their own inspector to determine if the system installed is un-shaded
between 9:00-4:00 and up to LADWP standards.  Next, the ERS inspects the
meter placement. Next, a meter spotter comes to the property and
replaces the existing meter with a new one. Next, rebates will be paid.

Here is a copy from paragraph four of the new rules:  “Even though PV
systems are designed to shut down in the event of a power outage, our
field personnel may elect to disconnect the systems, which is why
switches must be accessible.  “Accessible” means that the switch cannot
be located inside garages, sheds, fenced yards or areas with dogs, etc.
that are typically locked when the homeowner is not present”

Below is a little more information from the last meeting of the Mayors
Solar Installation Executive Focus Group.

When I asked a high ranking LADWP Manager “why systems 10kW and less are
being locked out and not systems above 30kW?”  The reply was that these
systems are funded by the PUC not LADWP and it would be crazy not to
allow State money to fund sources of generation in the LADWP grid.  Next
I asked, “What are you doing with the Public Benefits Trust money which
should be funding the LADWP solar program?”  I was told “collecting
interest on it”.

Perhaps one may wonder if enough money is in the bank by August 15th to
allow for funding the solar program on the interest alone?

One a separate but possibly interesting subject to some:  Below is a
link to an interesting LADWP web page that states that high voltage DC
power transmits more efficiently over long distances than AC.  As well
as the use of Thyristor Valve’s to invert DC to AC.

http://web.ladwp.com/~bulkpower/Eastern_Stations/Adelanto/ippinfo.htm

Graham Owen
GO Solar Company

- - - -