Profiles: It's That Time Again [RE-wrenches]

Mr. Sharkey sharkey at eugeneweb.com
Thu Jul 4 22:30:57 PDT 2002

Once again, Michael has anticipated the coming of the Oregon Country Fair
by posting a message prompting you all to do your duties and fill
out/update your Wrench Profiles. Of course, this always comes at a time
when I have the least free time possible, when I'm getting ready to Fest
out in the woods...

A little background:

When you fill out a Wrenches Profile Survey form, a CGI script on my server
takes the information that you supply, and fills in the blanks on a
pre-scripted web page form, complete with HTML tags, header and footer
codes, and three lines of text that become the link to your profile, e-mail
and web site (if any) on the Wrenches Front Page. This mostly complete
document is then e-mailed to me for touch-up editing, URL formatting, and
assignment of a file name (usually your first name and last initial). I
then copy-and-paste the information into a text document, make any
necessary small changes, and save it to my hard disk. I then use Front Page
2000 to publish your profile and the revised Wrenches Front Page to my
server, and it shows up on the WWW.

I'm telling you all of this because I want to ask a favor. There is a blank
field at the bottom of the Survey form for comments. What I would like is
for each of you to use that field when submitting your survey to inform me
as to what kind of action is requested, New, Replace or Update. Since the
document I receive is in HTML code, it's sometimes difficult to tell what
information has changed if it is an update. Adding a friendly note telling
me what the new/changed information is will help me figure it out more
quickly.  Sometimes members will want to completely replace their existing
profile, and knowing that will help me know what to do.

In the case of new profiles, well, there are now something like 159 Wrench
Profiles, and it's sometimes difficult to tell if I already have your
profile and your are requesting an update, or you are a new member and have
the same first name and last initial as some other member (which makes
things even more interesting while I try to figure it all out).

 I could revise the script and Survey page to include some radio buttons,
and require you to make a choice, but I really don't have the time to write
the script and debug it now, that's a better project for cold winter months
sitting beside the wood stove.

So, I'll keep pecking away at it here, the work load is not so much that I
can't keep up, but a bit of help from you when submitting a Survey Form
would be much appreciated

-S

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com