RV panel installation WAS: $5500.00 Puzzle [RE-wrenches]

Bill Loesch, Saint Louis Solar bill_loesch at compuserve.com
Tue Jul 2 05:10:13 PDT 2002

Graham,

I was unable to access your listed webpage below, however, I was able to
read your detailed web version of the Siemens installation instructions
(using the 36 watt module as an example).

You might be interested in an effective technique that Noel Kirkby
(RVSolarElectric.com) advises on thin metal roofs.

        When you have a thin metal roof instead of drilling the material,
he advocates using a awl to push the material into a dimple so you have
more material to grab with your screw fastener. (Interestingly, dimpling is
the technique that Outback has used on their two piece UPS able mounting
panel (not exactly thin metal) in their power panel package.Compare this to
the stud riveting Trace uses.)

        For any _sizeable_ RV array, the sturdy and leak free method I
favor is to span the width of the RV with channel and tie into the frame
wall.

I am sure that you are familiar with the brass nut molded in a collared
rubber bushing which expands and provides a leak free mount, these are
commercially available as "well nuts" from the Au-ve-co products folks.

Where did you mount the four batteries?

My $0.02,

Bill Loesch, Solar 1 - St. Louis Solar

RE-wrenches said:
>Holt,

>Last Saturday I installed and took a few pictures of the new Shell Solar
110 Watt RV Kit.  I wanted
>to wrench one in so I would know what I am selling on-line.  I have some
photo's on this page as
>well as the specification page. The camper has 4 100 Amp hour AGM's.
>http://www.solarexpert.com/CatRV.html

>Graham

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com