XR2500 Installation [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 30 18:15:45 PDT 2002

I think installers will find this interesting. One of our customers gave
us permission to share this June 29 email with you all. The customer
ordered an ST2500 back when Xantrex stopped shipping. We wanted to give
him his money back. Instead, he decided wait almost a year for the XR.
(FYI-Southern California Edison does not require a locking disconnect.)
-----
Hi Joel. Thought you would like to hear an update. Last Thursday, I
obtained a final with the county of San Bernardino. Hurray! All the
inspector wanted to look at was the AC side. I do not think he
understands the DC side, which was fine with me. He looked at the panels
and the inverter but did not have any corrections. Either I know what I
am doing or the inspector does not know what he was looking at. I am now
producing grid quality solar electricity.

I connected my AC to the subpanel at the back side of the house. I know
this is different, but it works fine and the meter at the main panel can
still be removed to disconnect all power to the grid if a lineman wants
to work on the power lines. The inspector discovered that when the
subpanel was installed 7 years ago, the original electrician had bonded
the neutral to the ground. The bond between the neutral and the ground
was only suppose to happen at one point of the entire house. Since the
bond was already at the main panel, the inspector wanted me to add a
second ground strip and move the ground wires to the new ground strip. I
asked him if I could remove the bond but he said that would be modifying
a UL rated subpanel. Sounds picky to me but it was an easy fix. I did
what he said for $5 and received a final.

I also called Southern California Edison Friday and got a verbal
approval to start selling to the grid as long as I faxed the finaled
card to their attention that day. I have been on the grid for some time
testing out the system.

The STRX-2500 works great. Everything is automatic like I was told and
after 5 minutes it will start to sell electricity and it never stops due
to poor electricity or problems outside of the parameters that the STXR
is allowed to work under. The best that I have done in one day is 12.5
kW. By the way, I am sure it is not a surprise to you but the
electricity that is made is just like the Zantrex white papers said with
all of the corrections. It is sad that the corrections are at 35% but
that’s life. The system produces 35% less than the panels are rated for.

The low speed fan sounds like it is tumbling rocks (quietly but
tumbling) and the high speed only comes on between 2 seconds and 20
seconds durations during peak power times between 12 noon and 5 pm,
depending on the temperature outside? Or temperature of the electronics?
The low speed sounds like a fan on poor quality electricity with the
rumbling sound but maybe that is normal. It appears that my load of 1500
watts is barely enough to start the high speed fan and that is why the
fan cycles on high speed.

I have the remote and I watch it often. Edison’s voltage sure does vary.
I have seen the voltage as low as 239 volts and as high as 253 volts.
The remote will also tell me if the hertz, temperature or voltage are a
problem. So far no problems. I am looking forward to 30 years of clean
electricity.

It appears that Zantrex was running a promotion during May and I
received a free 5 year warranty since the STXR was shipped May 14th.
That was good news! Monday I plan to submit my receipts to the
California Energy Commission for the rebates. Should go well like
everything else. Times have changed in the last few years when working
with the utilities, etc. was more difficult. I am glad that I waited.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com