Battery types & distribution, over time [RE-wrenches]

Andrew Bortz solarman2 at attbi.com
Wed Jun 26 14:28:37 PDT 2002

Wrenches,

Not surprisingly my clients have had a lot of questions about the best type of batteries to use in their PV systems.  While I realize this is a complex issue (affected by system configuration, on or off grid etc.), answers to the following question would help greatly in advising them intelligently!

Is there any comprehensive info. out there on the distribution of battery types (& possibly brands also) in PV systems (residential & commercial) over time?  In other words where (not so much geographically as what system configs.) have the different types been used in the past and what are the trends in use?

I beg enlightenment!

Thanks,
Andrew Bortz
Solar Design & Construction