Wrenching in L.A. [RE-wrenches]

Graham Owen graham at solarexpert.com
Thu Jun 20 20:27:48 PDT 2002

Wrenches,

I continue to be perplexed by the current LADWP PV lockouts.  When the
phone rings with people interested in installing a LADWP subsidized PV
system, I inform them of the continuing lockouts.  Installations are
inevitably put on hold.  Most of my new local solar competitors are not
informing prospective customers and continue to install systems.  I am I
crazy, this seems unethical to me?  What seems even crazier is the fact
that LADWP advises me to not mention the lockouts, continue installing
because the rebates are still being paid.  Within the last week LADWP
had the L.A. City Council approve funding for an advertisement campaign
to promote their solar program.  I was asked by DWP to speak to the
council but was told to “make sure not to mention the lockouts”
Apparently the lockout situation is not widely known.  I have not called
the press locally as I have hoped this would all end quietly and
quickly.  I did not go to the council meeting.

A couple of weeks ago I decided to bid and install PV systems a little
farther a field in PG&E and Edison territory.  I think the 405 freeway
got that name because it can take 4 o 5 hours to get anywhere.  I really
hate unproductive time.

By the way, it wasn’t that long ago that electricians were saying that
C46 Solar Contractors were really only plumbers.  Well this time of year
before it gets really hot outside, solar companies get many calls for
solar pool heating installations.  Many of the new marketing companies
with C10’s are installing solar pool heaters, go figure.  The calls for
pool heaters will end in July when it’s hot outside every day.

I am considering adding a page to my website that hopefully convinces
local potential customers to have a solar water heating system
installed.  I want to do this in such a manner that I do not make
disparaging remarks about PV.  I find installing PV to be much more
fulfilling for many reasons than installing solar water heaters.  I just
need to remain productive. Since 1982 I have installed over 700
residential solar water-heating systems in L.A., and when I say, I mean
I.  I personally drill and seal every hole in my customer’s roofs and my
helpers help me complete the job.

Here is the link to the page and there is no link to it from my web site
(yet).

http://www.solarexpert.com/solar-comparison.html

I would truly appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Graham Owen
GO Solar

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com