Connections and Mis-understanding [RE-wrenches]

Mangelsdorf, Marco mmangelsdorf at hei.com
Wed Jun 5 12:04:58 PDT 2002

Am I missing something here?  MC cables that are RHW-2/USE-2 and rated for direct outdoor exposure use should be put in conduit?  Wasn't the principal reason for PV manufacturers to go with MC cables rather than J-boxes to make for a quicker, easier install?  Sure, it's necessary to secure any outdoor cable, but is the consensus now that MC cables NOT in conduit using duct seal (?!) is a bad idea?  While we're at it, maybe we should put one conduit in a larger conduit so that the cable carrying conduit doesn't get too affected by the weather...

marco
proVision technologies, inc.
hilo, hawai'i
www.provisiontechnologies.com

We used NM liq flex conduit with duct seal in the same manner you described
with the MC wiring system. We added split 1" PVC conduit to make covers to
tuck the wires against the module frames. We then adapted from the 1" PVC
to the flex and on to the load center/ combiner box. That last section of
1" PVC was not split for the last few inches to make it easy to attach to
the flex. Also, the duct seal section was tucked up under the module
against the frame, so it was very unlikely to be exposed to direct moisture
or sun. Everyone involved much preferred this method to running the MC
wires free.

Ray

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com