Solar Lockout and the IBEW's need for a huge jug of prune juice [RE-wrenches]

Mangelsdorf, Marco mmangelsdorf at hei.com
Sat Jun 1 16:56:45 PDT 2002

I may be inviting some stinging diatribes, but this IBEW attitude and behavior toward grid-tied PV reminds me of why union involvement with anything solar, regarding installations, makes me more than a bit uncomfortable.  Back in the hey day of solar thermal (late 1970s-early 1980s), I can remember being in a meeting with solar reps/installers and union reps as the guys from the plumbing union were stating:  "If it's (solar thermal installations)not done by union members, it's crap."  Those kind of comments have colored my attitudes toward unions ever since.  And, just to be even more inflammatory, anyone heard of any horror stories of a botched PV installation done by a union electrician?

marco
ProVision Technologies, Inc.
hilo, hawai'i
www.provisiontechnologies.com

>From Joel D.:

LADWP IBEW has a new use for the PV system locking disconnect switch.
IBEW union workers have turned off and locked out private PV systems and
are using the lockout as a labor contract negotiation issue.

Turning people's solar power systems off is anti-consumer and does not
build support for the union cause. It is only a matter of time before
news reporters tell the world that the IBEW has switched off the sun.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com