battery disconnect [RE-wrenches]

Jeffrey Wolfe, Global Resources global at sover.net
Wed May 22 20:20:19 PDT 2002

OK, I'm going to lay myself wide open here......

I'm trying to come up with a nice looking way to install the 175A
fuse/disconnect/whatever for an AEI MM5. The MM5 does not come with a
breaker like a Trace Power Panel, and I hate to add a Trace DC175 to the
install. It just will look clunky. Same goes for adding an Outback unit. I
could add the AEI battery box, which is where their breaker fits, but their
box will not fit all the batteries, so clunky again.

So, what's the code implications of having a Class T fuse in a fuse holder,
and an "Anderson" manual disconnect on the positive leg? (A mating
connector is also now made by Hubbell, and is UL Recognized and CSA
Certified.) These products are made for disconnection only, not
interrupting. I would install the fuse and the Anderson connector in an
enclosure, with the battery cable in conduit.

Does this work with the code?

Does anyone else have a nicer/better solution?

Am I just making my life difficult?

Thanks, I'm ducking.

Jeff

- - - -