slushy glycol [RE-wrenches]

sunwise at cheqnet.net sunwise at cheqnet.net
Thu May 9 12:29:28 PDT 2002

Original Message: Smitty smitty at aaasolar.com

My point and question to you is this, on very cold clear WI winter days, the glycol in the arrays was warm and fluid, but the glycol in the the supply and return plumbing, 3" to 14" diameter and LOTS of it, was very thick and slushy and several 10 hp pumps had a very hard time and/or could not move it. I wonder what your experience is with this situation using a pv
direct system? It would seem to me that if the incident angle to the pv is not dead on, the pump is going to run slower and may not be able to overcome the thickened glycol.

It could be a problem.  I know Packerland had a LOT of exposed piping.  Most residential systems have very little.  If it is roof mounted, the return line is most exposed and it has a lot of heat building up at it.  Conductive exchange there and some convective heating from the attic and home below??  Some of these winter days aren't real productive any hey.  I do mix the glycol for the lowest temps possible too.

Kurt

http://mail2web.com/ .

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com