IEEE & UL & "Guerrillas" [RE-wrenches]

Jeffrey Wolfe, Global Resources global at sover.net
Thu May 2 17:35:13 PDT 2002

Some facts, some rant, some rally.

It's not just the backyard folks who are being pushed to guerrilla status.
We've got two systems right now, one 3 kW on a private school, and one 52
kW on a state government building, in different states, that are being held
up purely for obstructionist reasons. Cases in point:

1.  Trace ST2500, installed in the state of NH. Thius inverter has been
instaled in how many states, in how many utility jurisdicitons? But in NH,
the ST must undergo another test, a test that requires the destruction of
several units, to prove that when they are destroyed (through a simulated
lightning strike) they fail properly. Seems prudent, and other states
require this. But NH also requires that this test be completed when the
inverter is not putting out any power at the time of the strike (0 power
state). No other state rquires this. What do the NH utility folks, who
pushed for this, know that no one else knows? (In fact, a friend of mine
who is a local manager for a small segment of Nat Grid, opposed the rule,
but NU (PSNH) pushed for it, and being the dominant utility, they won.

Documentation, including a letter from UL stating that the 0 power test is
functionally equivalent to a 50% power test (which has been completed) has
been submitted to the NHPUC. No action. We started this in December 2001
(Thought I'd write the year, in case I need to dig this email up in a
couple years for documentation.) No, the PUC is not the utlity. But, they
certainly are not really independent of them. Each week, Xantrex inquires
and gets the answer that there should be an answer Friday. (Guess we need
to ask "which Friday")

This school, made up of fine law abiding citizens, may go guerrilla. Of
course the whole thing is stupid. Its a 3 kW array. The building will never
let the power get to the meter. Of course, if there is a failure...

2.  We just finished installing a 52 kW PowerLight system in NY. Of course,
the inverter is not in yet (held up by UL, but I just got word it ships
tomorrow ) and Niagra Mohawk (the local utility) just responded to the
interconnection application with a 6" thick pile of paper, a request for a
$3000 fee for "review" and a statement that they will meter the power WE
produce and charge US 2.5 cents per kWh generated. (This is actually
allowed in NY for systems over 50 kW, but ours is rated at 40 kW AC, and
the inverter is only 45 kW, so the rule shouldn't apply, but they still try
to throw it at us, thinking we might not know better.)

Of  course, the same building already had 15 kW of fuel cells tied into the
building with net metering (yes, the utility actually DID meter those, and
the building PAID 2.5 cents/kwh for the net metered power). The building
also has already paid over $5000 to the utility for the engineering study
for the interconnection of the fuel cells. So what's the big difference
with the PV? Also, since the Trace Tech 45 kW inverter has not been "type
tested" for the state of NY, we need to install a separate relay system
with a shunt trip device to duplicate the UL1741 grid tie equipment. Not to
worry though, we'll probably need the shunt trip breaker anyway, since the
utility will probably require a disconnect switch at the main electrical
service entrance, for the PV. Too bad we put the PV on the roof of a 6
story building. Lots of copper coming through a completed building if they
wont let us use the shunt trip.

All this in a state where the Governor has declared that 10% of the
electricity in state building will be provided through RE and efficiency by
2005 (I think) and 20% by 2010 (I think). All this in a state where NYSERDA
funded over half the project. And this project is within several blocks of
NYSERDA and the state capital.

On a side note, Rochester (NY) Gas and Electric has a customer with an
installation of several capstone turbines (which are allowed to
interconnect in NY). RG&E charged $350 for the interconnection study, and
did it quickly. They have been cautious, prudent, and non-obstructionist.

Ok, enough detail, you get the picture. It really is the utilities that are
forcing the issue with guerrilla solar (what shall the customer with a 52
kW(DC) system do, with all UL listed equipment and complete, stamped,
enginering designs, if the utility will not reasonably allow
interconnection? (Sure, we should have gotten the approval first. It's
called, "Grant Deadlines".) Having constructed millions of square feet of
buildings, working with utilities from ComEd (Chicago, ooooo so regressive)
to Boston, and NH (some great small ones) I've seen how utilities work.
They are not easy to work with even in getting a new service for a large
commercial. They have their ways. But they do get the job done, and they
are predictable. This is NOT how many of them act with interconnection.

Yes, we can work through the standards process, but really, who does
control the standards process? Yes, we can be involved, but if my business
card says "behomouth utility", people listen more than if it says "solar
bozo". People want to trust people, and the utilities take advantage of
that, and control the standards process through lies and half-truths and
unfounded claims. Having been deeply involved in the creation of the net
metering regulations for VT, I saw first hand how everything we said was
discounted, because "obviously" we were just trying to get the least
restrictive laws passed, whereas the utilities were "only concerned with
public safety". The day before we finally got a hearing in front of the
joint rules committee of the House and Senate, the Chair of the Public
Service Board publically asked all utilities to show up at the hearing and
show public support for the PSB position and proposed regs. Guess they got
a few chits for it...

Come on. Pull off the gloves. Sure, we need to work with the folks, but
"work with" doesn't mean "expose body parts for flailing". We need to be
aggressive on ALL fronts. The utilites are. Seen the newspaper adds in DC?

Enough Rant, back to work.

Jeff
Jeffery D. Wolfe, P.E.
Global Resource Options, LLP
A Woman-Owned Limited Liability Partnership
4 Kibling Hill Road
P.O. Box 161
Strafford, Vermont 05072
800-374-4494 Toll Free