OutBack PV Combiners - ETL listing [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas - OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Wed May 1 09:46:23 PDT 2002

> The Outback combiner is also not UL listed but I do see and ETL
> sticker on the outline drawing.  At least I could not find a
> listing anywhere on their documentation.  It does show that it uses
> UL listed breakers, but I doubt that covers the entire assembly.
> What is the difference between ETL and UL?

The OutBack PSPV combiner is ETL listed under UL1741 as a Photovoltaic
accessory.  The enclosure is approved by ETL under UL50 as a Type 3R
enclosure.  The assembly is managed under UL508 - industrial control
equipment.  The breakers, fuseholders and terminal strips are all
individually approved by UL and have been evaluated by ETL specifically
for this application.

The same authority which gives UL its power (OSHA) also approves ETL as
a Nationally Recognized Testing Lab (NRTL).  The NEC does not require UL
specifically - it requires that the products be evaluated and approved
only by a NRTL - such as UL or ETL or a few others.

For more info on OSHA / NRTLs / UL / ETL see this following link:

http://www.osha.gov/dts/otpca/nrtl/

Also - check out Don Loweburg's next column in Home Power for some
timely commentary on UL.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas at outbackpower.com  www.outbackpower.com