Microwave Ovens and Light Dimmers on the MM-5000 [RE-wrenches]

Rob Wills RWills at AdvancedEnergy.com
Wed Apr 3 16:09:33 PST 2002

We have had quite a few enquiries recently about the MM-5000's ability to
run non-linear loads like light dimmers and microwave ovens, so we did some
tests in our lab:

1/ Inverter running stand-alone, no load, Fluke power meter measures 120V,
0.5% voltage THD.

2/ Stand-alone, 600W resistive load via a 2kW light dimmer, 3/4 on (4A, 70%
current THD), Power meter measures 121V, 3% voltage THD.

3/ Stand-alone, our office microwave (11A, 40% current THD), power meter
measures 120V, 5% THD.

Conclusion: no problem..

Rob Wills
VP Engineering