OutBack ETL approvals + adding parts [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas - OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Mon Mar 11 12:32:51 PST 2002

Bob Ellison, Alternative Energy Systems wrote:

> Am I correct that putting in another product instead of the one it was
> tested with will violate the ETL (UL) listing?

We listed all of the OutBack products in a similar manner to what
Square-D has for its AC load centers - there is a long list of the
options and accessories that you can install in the field and the
product maintains its ETL listings. The inspector needs to still review
your workmanship,  but doesn't have to worry about if the parts have the
correct ratings etc.

We also have set up several other companies to be allowed to build
customized products and even complete systems with other listed parts
not included on our published parts list.  This additional ETL approval
is often is called a "UL508 Industrial Control Panel Builder" approval -
it is what Ananda Power/Pulse used and what Trace uses to build the
power panel/modules etc.  This is an additional ETL approval on top of
those carried by the individual products.

So - adding other components to a ETL listed OutBack product may violate
the ETL listing - technically.  Its mostly up to the inspector.  Your
safest bet is to use the optional parts and accesories listed in our
catalog & price list that the OutBack products were tested and approved
with when at all possible.

We will be adding a small sticker on all of the breakers and optional
components shipped by OutBack to ensure you that the parts are "genuine"
OutBack options and accesories.  This will let you to know that they are
the correct parts and that our ETL listing is not violated by adding
them. This should reduce the possibility of being sold incorrect parts
or incomplete kits.

Please email me if you would like more information - or you can use our
new online forum we just added to our website to get specific questions
answered or to see if the questions has been asked before.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas at outbackpower.com  www.outbackpower.com
Tel 360 435 6030  Arlington WA USA