Battery life [RE-wrenches]

Bob Galbreath bg4gls at attbi.com
Mon Mar 4 08:26:22 PST 2002

<x-flowed>
At 4:13 AM -0800 3/3/02, graham at solarexpert.com wrote:

>While we are on the subject of batteries I have another question.  How
>long is a battery bank specifically used for "grid-connected back-up"
>power going to last?

Graham,
Informal anecdote #1: In recent discussions with two different
companies that install AND MAINTAIN battery banks for the telecom
trade, I was told the same thing by both; that they: 1) Use AGMs. 2)
Tell the client informally that the batteries will last fifteen
years. 3) Warranty the batteries for seven years. 4) Change out the
batteries at five years. 5) Offer the used batteries ("15-year
batteries with ten years of life left") for sale to low-end
resellers. 6) Build all of the above into the contract.

Informal anecdote #2: Our company sells PV packages as part of a
larger "whole house" package. We usually have no control over how the
system is used and expect the worst. We use AGM's and defeat the
equalization function of the controller. We have never had (in seven
years) a complaint that the batteries didn't last long enough.

Informal anecdote #3: In previous businesses I have been in that
involve installation contracts, we made more profit on maintenance
than installation.

I wouldn't avoid battery systems if I were you, just use sealed
batteries and build the additional cost for anticipated maintenance
into the contract.

I'd also suggest that you offer an additional maintenance contract
(quarterly, semi-annual or annual) to all the clients, with or
without batteries. Wash off the panels, check the connections, check
the program. Then send them a usage report along with the bill. It's
a good profit center.

Bob Galbreath
Geo-Lite Systems
http://www.geolitesystems.com