NABCEP etc [RE-wrenches]

Lawrence Elliott larry at energyoutfitters.com
Sat Dec 22 12:15:05 PST 2001

First I would like to thank the guys who post me "off list" and offer
encouragement on this issue. You all know who you are.

After reading the letter from Wendy Parker I still cannot see how such a
program will directly benefit PV and Renewable Energy "wrenches".

SHOW ME THE MONEY.

"What are NABCEP's Goals?
NABCEP has three goals.  First, certification is a way to protect the
consumer.  Even if the PV hardware is fabulous, faulty installation
creates
ineffective or dangerous systems.  Consumers--in any field--deserve
quality
work.  When safety is at stake, quality work becomes an imperative."

"To protect the consumer."  That is a very broad statement.
A person passing a test will somehow improve relations and work quality?
Does this remind you guys of "Hi. I'm from the government and I am here
to help you'?

In the past 18 years I have installed hundreds and hundreds of PV,Solar
Thermal, Wind, Hydroelectric systems .Many are very very custom and may
not fit "the codes". If I become licensed does that mean I can no longer
offer perfectly safe and reliable systems that don't fit this code.
Could I still install my "experimental" hydrogen generators? Lose my
license?
I can think of one or two times when a customer has asked me if I was
licensed. In most cases they are relieved that I don't have any formal
credentials who's costs I have to pass on.

The only thing I rely on in business is giving exceptional service.
The way I treat a customer has nothing to do with a "test" of my
technical skills.
Present customers are my best source of new customers. Word of mouth.

Safety. Safety. Safety.

Sounds like the same garbage that comes from the "liberal left
Leninists" (Democrats)
"It's for the children"  "For the children"

I just installed a new Vanner inverter and practically went blind trying
to sort out the already vague and confusing set up instructions as I
sifted through literally hundreds of WARNING signs. I ignored all of
them. Are some valid? Maybe. But they remind me of "the boy who cried
WOLF" They are simply put there by lawyers to cover the ass of the
manufacture against stupidity and other vultures (Lawyers) . Why so
many?
Remember they are lawyers. Bureaucrats. Lawyers. Bureaucrats. Lawyers.
Is there a difference?

How much additional crap will a NABCEP add to this overload.

I see John Wiles is involved. WARNING.................................
After reading his articles in HOME POWER I am certain we are on the
wrong path with this new level of "bureaucracy and Parkinsons Principle
of Pyramiding Pride"

Just remember  all "good and honest and competent wrenches"
Your competition will be other wrenches who are less competent, honest
or skilled but just happen to be very good at parroting back from rote
memory answers to questions written by in most cases  "BRIGHTLY COLORED
and WELL FEATHERED parrots". I think you get my drift here.

WARNING. WARNING. WARNING. WARNING. WARNING. WARNING. WARNING. WARNING.
Bureaucrats on the loose.

P.S. I remember my engineer cousin who worked on Three Mile Island
telling me how nuclear certified welders "bought" there license under
the table. Hint. Hint.

Larry Elliott

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com