RE Certification [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar ozsolar at ipa.net
Tue Dec 18 17:32:05 PST 2001

Yes, its something like but there tends to be many variations of which I'm
sure I only know of a few. Typically 8-10 years of verifiable commercial job
experience plus the classroom before you can take the master electrician
test.  You can also have a master sponsor you without the classroom.  Before
you can take the test you have to be approved to take it by the local board
which typically consists of someone from the City, the utility (usually the
utilities union steward-go figure that, the union instructor from the local
IBEW, and few of the masters from local shops (yes, that would be union
shops).  Needless to say, since I'm not in the Brotherhood, I had to get an
attorney to represent me when the board reviewed my application.  Now that I
look back, it was totally worthless to get that "certification".  I can't
charge more, well I should say people won't pay more. I was too thick headed
to quit and now I'm am the only non-union master electrician I know. The
effort probably cost me well over $20,000 grand of billable man hours which
I will never get back.

So all that said.  I'm not interested in any more certifications.  I'm
certified to splice fiber, work on propane and natural gas lines and a whole
bunch of other things but...  Why?  Why should I pay dues/fees/test
proctoring or whatever else you want to call it?  I call it criminal now
that I see how it all works.  It's a pretty simple decision really.  Not
until the companies and industries can guarantee me the no one who isn't
certified will install or sell anything in my area who isn't certified
should I be certified?  You know they can't nor willing.  And you know what?
 That's not what this great country is about!  If a customer chooses to
purchase equipment from a dealer that isn't certified then that is there
right.

Travis Creswell
Ozark Solar

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com