Rain Damaged Inverters [RE-wrenches]

Bob Maynard, Energy Outfitters bob at energyoutfitters.com
Thu Nov 29 12:54:40 PST 2001

Hi Travis,
I would do nothing until the insurance company has seen and photographed the
damage.  I would file for 100% loss on the inverters, have the customer keep
them in his possession until the claim is settled, and at that point try to
clean them up.  I would also get a written statement from Xantrex(hard copy of
email response, whatever) to share with the insurance company.  Don't do
anything that transfers responsibility from the customers insurance to you!

I had a similar situation to Larry's with an SW a few years back.  Customer
install, he left the AC access cover off, mice moved in to a nice warm dry
house.  Fortunately before a fire started, he noticed it smelled like dead
rodents and shut it down.  He brought it to my shop, we removed the cover,
partially disassembled, and cleaned out the chunks, blew out the small stuff,
gently used  dry toothbrushes to remove the sticking stuff, blew it out again,
re-assembled, applied power, and "got lucky".  Unit is still in service and
performing flawlessly.

A sharp claims adjustor would probably say something like, "Send them to a
repair center for evaluation and refurbishing quotation.  We will make our
decision to repair or replace based on that report."  Realistically, after that
kind of storm, they are probably so overwhelmed that they may say here's a
check, throw the old ones away, then you can play!  My 2 cents.
Regards,
Bob Maynard
Energy Outfitters

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com