Trace UL and stupidity [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 21 11:10:02 PST 2001

Joel,

The entire world has changed since that singular decision by a lone engineer
at PG&E. The IEEE 929 standard is now the defacto law of the land, utilities
have agreed to abide by it and manufacturers and UL have agreed to abide by
it as well. As manufacturers, UL and utilities better understand how to
abide by this standard, these types of problems are likely to happen.
Unfortunately, this dirty laundry of our industry is being displayed to all
the wrong people (utilities and inspectors). Damage control from this issue
is likely to be more than any of us bargained for.

The reason I am so upset about this is because I spend a large portion of my
time working with inspectors and utility representatives to show them how
our industry has its act together. It will be much more difficult to make
that case as this memo becomes widely read by utilities and local
inspectors.

Bill.