Backup generators. [RE-wrenches]

blair Tump may tump at midcoast.com
Fri Nov 9 13:36:41 PST 2001

<x-flowed>

>I think, for small systems, the Onan Emerald is a good choice.  It is
>somewhat pricey for the wattage, but a good unit.

We have found that the lack of electronic voltage regulation /speed
controls  w/ the emerald can cause problems & the external muffler can be
problematic as well.

We  use the Marquis 7000  watt (6500 for propane)series ONAN  propane
generator, the price is higher BUT the unit is quiet and is VERY easy to
install . Intake air comes in and exhausts from the bottom as does the
exhaust but that can be changed to a rear /side exhaust.Can be wired
220/110 ,does have a electronic voltage regulator so that  damn out of Hz
error light doesn't come on. We pay around 38-4000$  don't make a lot on
this unit but it is reliable . Onan is now going to be marketing the unit
w/ a vertical shaft belt driven alt, have yet to see but I have 1 on
order.  These units are going to be a bit quieter but I'm still out on a
"life time belt" cog belt. The only disadvantage is that this IS a "RV"
generator and does have to be returned to the shop for warrantee work or
you will have to pay for a service call. We always set the unit up and do a
break in on the unit BEFORE we install it in the field so we are sure that
there aren't any problems.Same w/ the propane fridges/freezers.....

>www.solarwindsnorthernlights.com

Serving Mid Coast Maine & Northern California
  610-517-8401                      707-498-2804
A Trace Xantrex "Certified" Dealer / Installer

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com