Batteryless Bergey XL.1 ? [RE-wrenches]

John Blittersdorf, Cent. VT Solar & Wind cvsolar at aol.com
Thu Nov 8 22:00:53 PST 2001

Travis,
   I heard that Bergey is testing an inverter for the batteryless version but
seeing that my regular XL.1 ordered last May has not yet arrived, I would say
at least Fall of 2002 would be a better bet.  I just flipped the switch on my
first XL.1 install last night (in a strong wind) and was very pleased with
its performance..  We saw 46 amps on the emeter (house load was about 8 amps)
so that is a respectable 1500 watts out of a 1000 watt unit during a gust.  I
have to say that is as high as any output I have seen on my BWC1500.  It is
also very quiet... just a slight hum from the tower.  This one is on the 104'
tower.  It has already been tested for fail safe without a load as I had it
up for two days in strong winds before getting it wired into the house.  I
hadn't shorted the wires so it was doing its high speed freewheeling with
only some blade flutter noises at the peak gusts as it was auto furling.  It
was such a joy to install that I am eager to sell some more.  The area where
this one is located is prime for more sales.... all high elevation plateau
with lots of open land and farms.

John Blittersdorf
Central Vermont Solar and Wind

- - - -