Backup generators. [RE-wrenches]

info at backwoodssolar.com info at backwoodssolar.com
Thu Nov 8 12:42:07 PST 2001

Allan: Kohler 10RY and close models has been our only offering for many
years.  These have few problems compared with others we have attempted for
lower cost at times.  I regret doing the lower cist ones, one winter I was
all over three states fixing installations of lower quality units we had
tried selling. I find 1800 rpm is required for best life and performance,
low maintenance.  Cast iron engine helps too, as aluminum has excessive
expansion with heat. Propane fuel has worked well for us, less problems than
gasoline and propane is always on site for cooking and water heat, and keeps
well.  Some people prefer diesel, no problem, but propane sells best for us.
Water cooling is great, but we sold the 6.5 air cooled cast iron low rpm
when they were still made.  Now the 10RY is the smallest that has all those
requirements.  We see a few sticking starter solenoids  or gas valve
solenoids but generally no major warranty problems. This is with close to 10
years selling them. I can see the occasional glitch, but I don't understand
why someone would have the experience that "propane units have all had
problems, even the so called commercial units from Kohler"
Steve Willey
Backwoods Solar