Trace PS2512 [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Tue Oct 2 09:28:30 PDT 2001

David,
We installed two PS2524s in off-grid apps and decided not to use one again.
Several reasons:
1) Very noisy. Both, fortunately, went into vented cabinets on exterior
walls. I sure wouldn't want one in my home.
2) The PS2524 only charges at 65A DC, which limits its C/ rate to smaller
battery banks.
3) No ability to program the inverter to anything other than default
settings, re-program it if someone shuts off the GJ breaker, (same
ridiculous volatile memory problem as the SW), or initiate an equalizing
charge without the optional remote--which, at $300, takes away much of the
only advantage of the thing over the SW, which is a lower list price. And of
course, there's no knockout large enough to pass the connectors on the
remote cable, so the PSCB needs a big notch field-cut into it.
    Both units have worked per their design, and we haven't had any warranty
problems. But it's problems are fundamental to its design. We judged it a
schlock product and don't even consider it any more.
Allan at Positive Energy