Trace PS2512 [RE-wrenches]

David Palumbo, Independent Power & Light ipl at sover.net
Tue Oct 2 07:49:58 PDT 2001

We are installing our first Trace PS2512 inverter and we are wondering what
kind of success, or lack of, wrenches have experienced with these inverters.
So far we are under whelmed by its performance. It ran a couple of our tools
(drills, circular saw) off and on over the course of the morning. Only one
tool was on at a time and the battery bank voltage was strong (13.3 to
14.6v). It performed OK in powering these tools during the morning. With no
apparent warning signs the PS2512 started making an out of the ordinary
sound, a rapid "clacking" sound that was almost in the buzzing range. The
RMS voltage was not too bad at this point (115 to 123vac), but our Fluke
would not record peak volts, and Hz varied from 120 to 190! After an hour or
so we tried the PS again and the bad sound had gone but the inverter now
sounded slower. This was corroborated on the meter Hz now was at 52.8 while
running a 3 amp drill.
This unit is going to Tekris Power (our east coast Trace repair shop) for
diagnosis and repair.
Anyone having success with PS inverters?
Dave

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm