Bus Bars on batteries [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 17 11:46:45 PDT 2001

Allan,

Since the majority of off-grid system have not been inspected, I would have
to agree with you on keeping things cheap. However, the on-grid market is
100% inspected and batteries are one of the most difficult parts of the
system to inspect properly. Inspectors would much rather have a listed
system that was designed by someone who knows what they are doing. Without
that, we are left with the level of expertise of the installer--which is all
over the map--from very competent to incompetent.

I still feel very strongly that golf cart batteries (lead-antimony) are not
the correct battery for on-grid, backup systems. Some VRLA batteries are not
that great either (gels). Should we limit these systems by having
listings?--There are worse alternatives like dried out batteries and high
float charge requirements when batteries are not applied properly.

I have always felt that, in the area of batteries, "A little learning is a
dangerous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring:" (That is a
quote by Alexander Pope from his "Essay on Criticism," written in 1711--hows
that for a classical education from an engineer.) Most off-grid folks
understand golf cart and L-16 batteries, but on-grid systems are very
different animals and we are still learning about them. I don't claim to
understand them yet, and I question anyone who feels they have these systems
well understood. There is testing that must be done to learn more about
these systems.

Bill.

p.s. Here is an excerpt for those that are interested. Not bad for a 23
year-old kid when Pope wrote this.

AN ESSAY ON CRITICISM

Excerpts
  *        *         *        *         *
A little learning is a dangerous thing;
Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring:
There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,
And drinking largely sobers us again.
Fired at first sight with what the Muse imparts,
In fearless youth we tempt the heights of arts,
While from the bounded level of our mind,
Short views we take, nor see the lengths behind;
But more advanced, behold with strange surprise
New distant scenes of endless science rise!
So pleased at first, the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' eternal snows appear already pass'd,
And the first clouds and mountains seem the last:
But those attain'd, we tremble to survey
The growing labours of the lengthen'd way,
Th' increasing prospect tires our wandering eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com