Bus Bars on batteries [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Mon Sep 17 09:15:19 PDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Brooks" <billbrooks7 at earthlink.net>
> Our industry is in desperate need of listed battery systems. It will make
inspection much more straightforward.

> Bill.
Bill,
>From the non-California, living-in-a-world-of-many-offgrid-systems
perspective, I'm not sure I agree with this.
Yes, as you know, I support code compliance and have real concerns about
safety and liability issues. So imagine what would happen if suddenly there
were listed battery systems: the manufacturer's product would become a de
riguer requirement for systems requiring strict compliance, whether or not
the batteries were appropriate for the application, and whether or not they
were affordable. What about replacement of batteries in existing systems?
Can you imagine my telling a customer that he can't replace his golf cart
batteries after 7 years because they're not listed? And the listed ones are
twice the price, and require their own listed enclosure and, by the way, the
sizes available mean you'll have to move that wall over four inches...
Remember the Ananda Powercenters? They came with dinosaur controllers, that
weren't even PWM. But they were the first and only UL-listed product, so
guess what we had to use to satisfy unsophisticated (read: 99% of 'em)
inspectors.
Bill, I know I'm playing devil's advocate here, to make a point. My point
is, let's avoid knee-jerk solutions that may cause their own greater
problems, whether in the realm of batteries or of national outrage.
Allan at Pos E

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm