PV as an investment [RE-wrenches]

mrousso at urbanrefuge.com mrousso at urbanrefuge.com
Mon Sep 10 22:58:21 PDT 2001

Hi All,

I'm a newbie to the list and have been lurking for a
few weeks.  I really enjoy the dialog and the depth of
knowledge and experience you all possess is marvelous.

As a quick intro, I've been involved with alternative
energy since 1975 when I was a undergrad in
engineering school.  Out of school, I was recruited by
the "dark side" and went to work designing, building,
commissioning and optimizing power generation
facilities -- almost exclusively coal-fired with some
gas and oil and one nuke thrown in.  For the past 24
years I have been involved with utilities as an
employee or a consultant.  I finally got fed-up with
corporate BS and myopic vision and decided to start my
own little RE company here in Fallbrook, California a
few months ago.  I can't tell you how good and
liberating this all feels -- getting to use my brains
and my hands for something I've always believed in!

I did my first project for an 89 year old woman, a 3KW
(Pnom) array with ST inverters.  1 inverter seems to
be ok, albeit a bit lower in efficiency than
advertised, the other is significantly underperforming
per some of the other threads here and I'm trying to
get that resolved.

However, the point of all of this is that my first
client, the 89 yr old, did not do this because of
"pay-back,"  she did it because she wants to stick it
to SDG&E and she derives the value of her money by how
she uses it.  It seems that my clients fall into
several demographics:
-  middle-aged and up who have disposable income,
-  green orientation,
-  anti-establishment,
-  pissed at government and the utilties, or
-  have more money than God and its cool to have one
of theses thing-a-ma-jigs.

I can't tell you how many people call up and want to
sign up if I can demonstrate a better than 5 year
pay-back.  Well, pay-back per standard calculations is
a moving target due to all of the variables involved.
I explain the variables to my clients and allow them
to choose the scenario they want to evaluate.  Some
time this results in a sale just because they see how
complicated it can be and don't want to do the math,
but believe in the overall concept!

Anyway, I've rambled long enough.  I do have a
question.  Several of you mentioned a marketing list,
I believe.  If there is one, where do I find it?

Thanks!
Mo

Mo Rousso
President