Fw: Battery Bussing [RE-wrenches]

Jeffrey Wolfe, Global Resources global at sover.net
Mon Sep 10 13:29:26 PDT 2001

If you are concerned about this (and maybe you should be, I'm not sure)
simply make all of the wires that go from buss to battery the same length.
Yes, some will be longer than they need to be, but we're talking dollars
here, not even tens of dollars. At this point, you'll be as perfectly
balanced in resistances as possible.

Of course, batteries vary internally (I assume) and different batteries
could well have different internal resistances. At high loads, the strings
with higher internal resistance will contribute less. But since resistance
drops linearly with decreasing current draw (linearly), and amperage drops
with the square of decreasing power draw, it seems to me that small
differences in resistance (of the order we seem to be talking about) only
have a significant effect during high amperage / high power draw periods.
Most system we put in are designed to make the inverter happy at a 4000W
draw. I personally, due perhaps to limited field watching time, have not
seen an inverter sit anywhere near it's peak power draw for any significant
period of time. If a house system did sit near peak, the battery bank would
need to be enormous.

So unless the battery internal resistances are significantly different from
string to string (someone want to do the math to define "significant"),
then seems that we've done enough. (I guess you could test the individual
strings and mix and match until the strings had equal resistances under
some load level...)

This is all assuming that all the cables are crimped equally and equally
and adequately terminated to the batteries...

Enough for now.

Jeff

On Monday, September 10, 2001 1:32 PM, jay peltz [SMTP:jay at asis.com] wrote:
> Hi Joel, and Tom,
>
> My question is about wire lengths.  In the plumbing world, to truly
parallel
> something, the lengths of pipe,fittings etc must be the same length.
 Seems to me
> that the shorter wires will pull more power.  Yes I realize that we are
talking
> really small differences here, but it is going to take the path of least
resistance.

> What say you?
>
> jay
>
> peltz power
>
> Joel Davidson wrote:
>
> > Tom,
> > Thank you very much for the pictures and story on your web page. Using
a common
> > bus makes a lot of sense. I wish I had more time and money to do
research and
> > testing. It would be good to put ammeters on the series and parallel
 cables to
> > confirm lower current coming from inner batteries. Perhaps your battery
supplier
> > has some test data.
> > Best regards,
> > Joel Davidson
> >
> > Tom Elliot wrote:
> >
> > > Allan,
> > >
> > > I've been following this thread with some interest as I've just gone
through
> > > my own changeover due to (what I consider) premature cell failure in
an L-16
> > > in my original bank.  I've done a write-up on my web page (the
write-up is
> > > at http://www.wagonmaker.com/newbatt.html ).
> > >
> > > As I say on the webpage, the battery people I deal with who do large
telco
> > > installation literally cringed when I said I had a series/parallel
> > > installation.  The cell in my system that failed first was the one
closest
> > > to the positive inverter takeoff.  I didn't have cross-connection on
the
> > > bank, I took the power from one end (I know not the best) but they
told me
> > > it only made a little difference to take power from opposite ends of
the
> > > bank.
> > >
> > > According to what I was told, virtually *any* paralleling of
batteries is a
> > > bad idea.  The center strings add voltage but not much current to the
> > > inverter draw which means that the outside series strings take more
of a hit
> > > than the center strings.  (I'm getting clarification and more
technical
> > > explanation of this from them but it may take time).
> > >
> > > Anyway, when I saw the "battery bussing" subject line I thought folks
would
> > > be talking about the way I've installed my "new" (to me) bank of
AGMs.  All

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com