Deep Well (400'-600' TDH) Water Pumping [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar ozsolar at ipa.net
Sat Aug 25 07:36:20 PDT 2001

I wish to amend my original quote of 100% trouble rate with DC pumps to a
more accurate 75%.  Also please note I am talking about all DC pumps not
just submersibles.  It still feels like 100% though and the only other
product that comes even close to costing me as much money, time and
reputation was a bad batch of over 300 Leviton Occupancy Sensors we
installed at two La-Z-Boy factories.  Also, 2 of those DC pumps include
those made by a small manufacturer from New Mexico whose name starts with D
and have been sold in the last 2 years.  So, I'm not going for "they're
better today than they used to be".  Even though I truly believe they are
better I am from the "Show-Me" state!  One was a controller problem but that
still counts in my book.

Please don't get me wrong, as I am not trying to beat up on DC pumps.  They
HAVE already succeeded in beating me up.  There is no arguing that if you
need more than a few hundred gallons a day and don't need any AC then a DC
pump is the way to go.  Low head irrigation and stock tanks fed by  wells
under 200' (still can be pulled by hand) are perfect applications and I will
continue to actively promote those applications even knowing that odds are
heavily stacked against me.  I would be even more likely to promote DC
pumping if certain pump manufacturers/distributors didn't sign up new
dealers in my back yard who have never even seen a solar panel.

In this particular situation (too deep and the customer needs AC) that I'm
designing for I have pretty much ruled them out unless someone could show me
some radical savings compared to a dual inverter system.  Windy,  you are
more the welcome to put the numbers together and if you'll pay my labor to
repair and trouble shoot it the first year I'd love to put it in.  As I
don't expect that to happen, I'll be selling the customer a dual inverter
system that has never given me ANY trouble and let the well service company
sell him the pump that they know will last for 20 yrs and cost less than
$300.  The customer can enjoy all the power and water he needs and I can
enjoy not eating a bunch of labor when I could be out making money or even
better, home on a Saturday with my family.  It boils down to a personal
(lost time with family) and financial decision to choose a product that has
been reliable for over 30 years (not less than 2 years) or go with a new
product that has proven to be very unreliable and very expensive with no
recourse to reclaim money lost from servicing it when it fails.

Travis Creswell
Ozark Solar