ST problems [RE-wrenches]

Jim Hartley grail at inil.com
Thu Aug 23 07:20:23 PDT 2001

Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar wrote:
> Thanks William. You're right, this is sort of thing the Wrenches list is
> for.  My experience regarding the ST and batteryless inverters in
> general is
> zero (other than a Omnion about 6 or 7 years ago)... I have yet to
> install
> one or even have a customer think seriously about installing one.  Cheap
> electricity  combined with no tax credits or buy down program pretty
> much
> guarantee that no one will take them seriously anywhere near me.  I
> would be
> interested to know what sort of sales these inverters are having in
> areas
> similar to mine.

You and I have had a few private chit-chats about this situation before.
 Your area isn't quite the same as mine but we are both in the Mid-West,
nonetheless.  Illinois, however, does have a RE rebate program for both
consumer and commercial applications which has been up and running for
about two years now I think. Businesses can also work a federal tax
angle as well assuming they know about it.  So, incentives do exist but
utility electric power is still relatively cheap here as well.

Like you, I have yet to be involved selling/installing any grid tie
apparatus.  I have dealt with a number of prospects, a few quite
extensively to no avail as yet.  It was getting very time consuming
doing so with no reward attached.  I have since changed how I would
offer my time in such endeavors.  These prospects always got the willies
over the costs involved versus what their investment payback perception
was.  Even the seeming "Greenies" showed their weak knees.  Still, a few
systems have gone in here and there over the past couple of years I
understand.  ComEd the major utility here in Illinois services pretty
much all of northern Illinois.  According to their RE program manager
who was publicly quizzed back in the spring about their program
involvement, they had been party to 12 RE installations so far.  This
person also stated that their ratepayer base was 3.5 million customers.
That's not much activity for their huge operating base.  Were these all
grid-tie systems?  I can't say.  Even if they were, not many had been
installed to date even with the state rebates available.  How many such
systems have gone in since then, I don't know.  Back in April I tried
contacting this program manager about various matters of interest to me
as a potential supplier/installer.  I am still waiting for a response,
with less and less expectation of hearing anything at this point.  I
suppose I should try again, someday when I'm in a better mood.

As to inverter problems, this has also been a major concern of mine.
It's difficult enough getting people to buy into such technology around
here let alone having things crapping out.  That is absolutely not a
road I can afford to travel in a serious business sense.  As William
notes below, this is a deadly killer for a business in respect to wasted
time, money and goodwill.  I'm fortunate to have another business
endeavor which allows me to spend time pursuing the RE activity but even
with that there are limits to what misfortunes I'm willing to absorb.
This is especially so if your client ends up being at some substantial
distance away from where you are established.  That would certainly be
the case around here from what I have seen so far, even the prospects
alone are few and far between.

Ideally, I would like to sell this stuff right here in my hometown to
make things somewhat more convenient to myself, assuming there were
seriously interested parties.  Odds are there won't be.  This owes to
the fact that were I live the city proper has its own utility setup
reselling power purchased from various outside generators. In doing so,
they elect not to charge their customers the adder fees that are used to
fund the state rebate programs.  Hence, nobody in my town qualifies for
the state rebates.  Nearby Naperville, the state's second largest city,
does the same thing, in effect disqualifying those affluent residents
similarly.  So, in short, even with state investment incentives in
place, not everybody is eligible.  For me that is a huge problem since
it forces me to pretty much ignore the two areas of greatest interest
and potential locally.  This means that I must consider opportunities
that may be quite far afield.  Having lots of problems with equipment
scattered "far afield" is NOT what I need to be worrying about.
Accordingly, I have approached this entire RE business thing with very
measured steps lately.  I don't need going belly up to prove any points.
 And the people I might choose to do business with don't need me going
belly up either.  This is why the reliability issues which surface in
this forum absolutely have to be dealt with seriously and expeditiously.
 Otherwise, some of us may not be bothering anymore.  That is my current
view on things.

Jim Hartley
http://www.homestead-specialties.com
JamesHartley at homestead-specialties.com