Lightning Arrestors [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 12 17:54:03 PDT 2001

I lived for several years on the 3rd highest peak in the Ozark mountains in
northwest Arkansas at 2285 feet (short mountains but deep hollers). There was
nothing taller to the north all the way to the north pole and beyond. Nothing
taller to the west until you get to the Rocky mountains uplift. Lightning
storms would come in regularly from Lightning Alley to the west and hit my
place about 6 to 12 hours after they hit Tulsa, OK. I use to lean up against
a west-facing earthen bank and watch the storms. Lightning all around. Trees
bursting nearby. Ozone in the air. Lightning never hit my home, tv antenna,
PV array, barn and out buildings with metal roofs, metal wind tower, etc. All
ungrounded. Nearest power and telephone lines about a mile away down by the
highway. A few of my neighbors had lightning rods on their barns because
traveling salesmen in the 1950s sold them. Lots of lightning hits the Ozarks,
but very little damage to man-made things. Lightning, luck and love all start
with "L". Some people believe you get what you give, but Darwin would
probably think otherwise.

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com