Pro gen 9000 [RE-wrenches]

Doug Pratt dpratt at pacific.net
Tue Jul 31 21:39:07 PDT 2001

"Bob Ellison, Alternative Energy Systems" wrote:

> Has any one had any experience with this generator? A Pro Gen 9000, plugged
> into the full power outlet hooked to a DR1512. When I first saw it was only
> putting 25-27 amps into totally dead batteries.  I cranked it up higher (125
> volts) and got 42 amps from it. The rating is 70 and there were no heavy
> loads on the generator otherwise. I did try a motor load to see if it
> improved, it didn't.
>
> Does anyone have any other ideas?

All Trace battery chargers (and particularly the DR series and the old U series)
are sensitive to peak AC voltage. Higher AC peaks equals more amps of battery
charger output.  Many generators have lower peak voltages than "utility" power,
but still deliver 117 volts RMS due to a slightly fatter curve. Your test of
turning up the generator voltage and significantly increasing charging amps
makes me think this is most likely the problem.
  If you can crank up the voltage without upping the hz, that'll help. If other
household appliances start complaining about 130v input, then put a 10% or 20%
boost transformer between the generator and the DR inverter. It'll work wonders
for charging performance.

-Doug Pratt
Real Goods Technical Editor

- - - -