"Worm" on the loose! [RE-wrenches]

Michael Welch, Home Power michael.welch at homepower.com
Thu Jul 26 12:22:23 PDT 2001

Please, I would rather not post virus info to this list. While this particular virus is not a hoax, most virus warnings are hoaxes, spread unknowingly by good-intentioned folks.

I also want to correct one misstatement I made in my email to Allan which he quoted in his message to this list. SirCam can mine addresses from Outlook address books.

Allan Sindelar wrote at 01:03 PM 07/26/2001 -0600:

>Colin got it from me. It's a recent, fast-acting worm. Don't open it. It
>spreads itself randomly, so I couldn't warn you. For more info and a tool to
>remove it, go to
>http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sircam.worm@mm.html
>This link courtesy of Michael Welch. Read on for more, from yesterday:
>
>Allan Sindelar, Positive Energy, Inc. wrote at 10:10 AM 07/25/2001 -0600:
>  >Michael, should I post this to the wrenches list?
>>
>>I found out this morning that I have a "worm" virus in my computer, that
>replicates by e-mail. You may now have it too. Travis and Ian Woofenden
>have. I was able to successfully delete it, using a fix I downloaded from
>Symantec. I have attached the fix file to this message, in case you got it
>too.
>
>No, please do not post. That worm gets sent to email addresses that it finds
>in your browser's cache, not to addresses in the address book for your email
>program. So, most of the wrenches will not have gotten it.
>
>By the way, since last Friday I have gotten over 200 of those virus
>messages. Yet I remain uninfected because I know not to open potentially
>infected attachments. Plus, I have my message size set low enough that they
>were left on the server for me to delete without ever having made it to my
>attachments folder.
>
>Michael Welch

Michael Welch

------------------------
""We do not inherit the earth from our parents. We borrow it from our children."
                                    Chief Seattle

Michael Welch, michael.welch at homepower.com www.homepower.com
     Managing Editor, Home Power magazine
     Office Coordinator, Redwood Alliance
     (Not HP mag numbers) 707-822-7884 fax: 707-822-3481

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com