"Worm" on the loose! [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Thu Jul 26 12:03:15 PDT 2001

Colin got it from me. It's a recent, fast-acting worm. Don't open it. It
spreads itself randomly, so I couldn't warn you. For more info and a tool to
remove it, go to
http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sircam.worm@mm.html
This link courtesy of Michael Welch. Read on for more, from yesterday:

Allan Sindelar, Positive Energy, Inc. wrote at 10:10 AM 07/25/2001 -0600:
  >Michael, should I post this to the wrenches list?
>
>I found out this morning that I have a "worm" virus in my computer, that
replicates by e-mail. You may now have it too. Travis and Ian Woofenden
have. I was able to successfully delete it, using a fix I downloaded from
Symantec. I have attached the fix file to this message, in case you got it
too.

No, please do not post. That worm gets sent to email addresses that it finds
in your browser's cache, not to addresses in the address book for your email
program. So, most of the wrenches will not have gotten it.

By the way, since last Friday I have gotten over 200 of those virus
messages. Yet I remain uninfected because I know not to open potentially
infected attachments. Plus, I have my message size set low enough that they
were left on the server for me to delete without ever having made it to my
attachments folder.

Michael Welch

Allan