[Pubtech] ME piece on Lower Voltages [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Wed Jul 25 17:36:09 PDT 2001

Pals:

Here is another thread from the same group.  It refers to the plan to lower
grid voltage to save power.  I hope the information is useful or at least
entertaining.

William

>Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 07:59:25 -0500
>From: "Chris Scott" <Chris.Scott at wku.edu>
>Subject: Re: [Pubtech]  ME piece on Lower Voltages
>To: PUBtech Public Radio Tech Talk <pubtech at lists.wduq.org>
>Sender: "PUBtech Public Radio Tech Talk" <pubtech at lists.wduq.org>
>
>As per usual, Ira provides an accurate summary of the facts.
>
>Thanks Ira.
>
>Chris Scott
>Western Kentucky University
>

>"Ira A. Wilner" wrote:
>>
>> Remember,  for resistive loads, reducing E will reduce I and also W.  Thus
>> incandescent lighting, resistance heaters and even some electric motors
>> will draw a bit less current.  But you are right to argue that regulated
>> devices, i.e. electronic power supplies and broadcast transmitters with APC
>> controllers will attempt to use the same amount of power as always.  Thus,
>> I will rise when E falls to compensate.
>>
>> But the net result for the power grid is a reduction in energy demand when
>> the voltage is reduced.  After all that is what brownouts are all about!
>> You reduce the voltage on the grid to reduce the load demand on your
>> generation capacity.  Else your spinning generators will slow down for lack
>> of input energy reserves.  And you do not want to significantly reduce your
>> frequency in a 60 Hz system.  Lowering the voltage reduces the load on the
>> generators and enables them to keep on spinning at 60Hz.  In effect, power
>> line voltage regulators and the exciters in generators act as impedance
>> converters to load down or unload the spinning energy sources.
>>
>> Also, if you regulate your local voltage down, it will cause energy
>> (current) to flow towards you on the grid from other sources than your own.
>> :-)
>>
>> --Ira

message to the List Address with the word "help" in the SUBJECT field or
visit the PUBtech web access at http://pubtech.org     You can also test
(ping) the server or your mail account with this service using the same
method.  Send subscription questions to pubtech-admin at wduq.org

William Miller
SLO Communications: Communications and Power Systems Consulting
PO Box 50, Santa Margarita, CA 93453
Voice :805-438-5600		Fax: 805-438-4607	VMail: 805-546-4875
email: wrmiller at slonet.org
License No. C-10-773985
Compatibility:
Word processor: WP7
Spreadsheet: Quatro Pro 7
CAD: Microstation 95, DXF, Visio 4.1T
"I stand by all the misstatements that I've made." Dan Quayle

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com